RSS

K. at the Interior Design Show Exhibition

Let me first say this...I've been to many interior design exhibitions the past few years, each one duller than the last! Mostly, these exhibitions showed little care about design and a love for profit! Their higly commercial character made the whole thing look like flipping through the ads of a desgin magazine...again and again, without ever stopping (yikes!).

The thing is...I don't go to these things looking for just another black and silver bedroom set with swarovski crystals and metalic details (what ARE they thinking?) , or a huge corner sofa thats...lights up in the dark or something... :P I want to get inspired, I want to experience new styles,new materials, fresh ideas!!!

My craving drove me to EKEP centre last Sunday, hoping that I would finally see some real design going on!

I'll quote the info from the (greek) site of the show to better show you what we're talking about.
"The Interior Design Show ID '09 is a unique event for the contemporary design.
This year (it's first one) four of the most inspired and innovative architects will get togeher to present their ideas and surprise the audience with their projects, free of any limitations.

And the journey begins...Creativity! Inspiration! Talent! Innovation!"

And that's exactly what I got out of it!

Here are some pictures of the event. Enjoy!!!

Architecture Dress Code
Architects: Miltos Farmakis, Irene Roussakis - Olive3 Architects

Inspired by a chess board,a 60x60 grid is created where different materials become the focal point. Cubes rise from the ground or hang from the ceiling and get wrapped into unexprected materials to create a space full of illusions where orientation tends to get a bit blurry...I have to say I loved the feeling of it!


A model of the installation.



views from inside :)

Reflect Me
Architect: Nikos Andrianopoulos

"Narcissus, looking into the water, did not understand that
he saw his own reflection, and fell in love with himself."

His installation was made up from wood, carpeting and reflective surfaces. Many different angles created many different scenes of the same space and caused a somewhat narcissism to me I may admit. I blame the amazing photos which were, still, the focal point of it all.









Marble Pavillion
Architect: D.Tsigos - TDC Tsigos Design & Construction

I have to admit this was my favorite one, I sat and laid on it in dozens different ways :P
It made me feel very comfortable and free.

The marble pavillion made by...marble (the surprise!) moved me because Greece and this specific material go way back...about 5000 years back! The earth here is rich with various different kinds of marble, any colour and texture you can imagine, you'll find.
It also reminded me of the island my father was born in (and the one I love to think I hail from) , Tinos. The islanders there have a tradition of working with marble to create the most amazing things you can think of, and there's even a marble sculpting school and museum too. (note to self: post about them some time during summer)

The architect inspired by the versatility and history of the material itself used a pinkish-red shade of it to create a pavillion that steals away the audience. My first thought on it was that it looks like fins of fish laid upon a beach, bones of a whale, but then it also reminded me of a sound wave, a few leaves fallen on the ground, a stoney wave crashing on rocks...and many many more.

Enjoy the photos although I can assure you...it's nothing compared to the full experience of living on/with/by it.








ps: how i loved the cool smooth touch of the marble, such an earthy feeling about it and such an airy,flowy form it was given...pure bliss ^.^ (I wonder what happened to it after the end of the show :/)


There you go...just a little sample of the most amazing exhibition I've ever been
(only so far though! ;) )

I'll be back for more colour...as always! ;) K.

2 σχόλια:

Maria Killam είπε...

Wow that was cool! Thanks for sharing!

Lefteris είπε...

Great shots cousin! I wish I had been there too :)

Δημοσίευση σχολίου

free counters