RSS

Steampunk style revelation...am I the last to know?

A few years I found myself spending almost all of my spare time playing one particular PC game and another few years later obsessing over its' sequel!

This is actually pretty funny because I'm known to only bother (drool,rather) about the Sims series and it makes sense. I'm a very busy person, I have lots of hobbies and don't care much about PC games, the Sims is almost like an inspiration and creation tool for me and of course it has it's entertainment advantages as well (that's whatever separates it from 3ds max :P ).





But this one particular game...an adventure game, Syberia (and it's sequel) had me glued to my desk for days and days. I blame it on the mystical, victorian, somewhat retrofuturistic atmosphere that Benoit Sokal and the rest of the Microids company team created.

Notice the Art Nouveau architecture? It's my favorite historical art genre.You'd think that with my love for Romantic, Art Nouveau, Japanese style and design I have a very complex taste but they all link with each other in many ways. One of them, is the "Syberia" style itself.




So...for years and years I've been hooked to this new (for me) style but I could never quite find a word to describe it perfectly, I could only mumble about it for hours,trying to define it!




Some days ago, my eye stopped on a word amidst the text of a random site. "Steampunk"...steampunk? Sounds pretty...what it is?? Yeap...it was what I've been looking for without knowing what I'm looking for! hehehe

Steampunk is a sub-genre of fantasy and speculative fiction that came into prominence in the 1980s and early 1990s. The term denotes works set in an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century—but with prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy, such as fictional technological inventions like those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or real technological developments like the computer occurring at an earlier date. (source: wikipedia)


As an online window shopping junkie I had to go and search Etsy (what's with me and this place?? :P) just to create the perfect steampunk outfit (the need to create the perfect steampunk adobe -always with a touch of my individual style- will be satisfied through the Sims 3, I'll be sure to post it and upload it soon).

By the way...I don't like to advertise but I appreciate all things handmade and believe in supporting freelance crafters all over the world, that's why I post finds from Etsy and not some other online store (if you know any other online stores like this please tell me).


Very "Aviator" style outfit, I love the little cape. Creator: whiteapple



A great way to adopt the style without looking "costumey"! I just love this t-shirt!
Creator: blackmirrordesign



Another amazing find, a beauuuutiful jacket/shrug, I'd wear it with pretty much anything...
Creator: blackmirrordesign





Speaking of Jules Verne...isn't this totally "20.000 leagues under the sea" reminiscent???
Creator: chinookhugs



"I just murdered a watch" wrist cuff! no...that's not it's name, that's just me being silly-happy :P
Creator: edmdesigns



Last but not least...how would I ever begin an adventure without my brass goggles???? O.o
Haha...I'd wear it as a headband easily though! Creator: ProfMaelstromme

There...my love for steampunk style is out....I can sleep now. :)

Back with nore colour...and a design orientated post. K.

1 σχόλια:

Unknown είπε...

You're not alone. Many are discovering Steampunk for the first time right now. Live me, just last month. I had no name to put on it all my life until last month. Fun stuff! Regards, Jon Magnificent

Δημοσίευση σχολίου

free counters